News

News,Tips and Outings
>hr 25th October 2017

Committee meeting 25th October 2017 – 7pm The Glen.

Attendees:- Alasdair Bennett, Cameron McNair, Mudita, Johnny Durnan, Jed Connolly, Alan McLay. Apologies :- Julia Dancer.

1. The minutes of the last Committee meeting held on 9th July were read and unanimously accepted as correct.
2. The main item for discussion was the programme for the next session from January to May 2018.
The dates and subjects are as follows:-
10th Jan slide night – subject Bad Weather
24th Jan practical night – Still Life (bring camera and tripod)
7th Feb side night – My 3 favourite images (digital or print + be prepared to say why)
21st Feb practical night – Depth of Field/ Differential focus (bring camera& tripod)
7th Mar – print evening – subject RED and max. 2 PRINTS per member.
21st Mar – practical night – elementary scanning and post-production
4th April – slide night – subject APRIL. One image for each letter of the month, i.e. one for a subject beginning with “A”, etc.
18th April – practical night – taking images with non-DLSRs. To be taken with tablets, ipads, phones or compact digital cameras. Bridge cameras and DLSRs excluded.
2nd May – slide evening to show and discuss the images taken on 18th April.
16th May –being held open for a talk by a guest speaker to be arranged.
30th May – Annual dinner and Print of the Year.

Please put these dates in your diary. Details of POTY will be circulated later.

3. The first three meetings of 2018 will be held in the Village Hall library as The Glen will be closed. Time will still be 7pm. There was a suggestion of seeing if the Golf Clubhouse was available but this was not agreed as arrangements had been confirmed with the Village Hall.
4. A letter of thanks was received from the Church for the print donated as a prize for the Duck Race.
5. AOCB
a. There was a brief discussion on the Social Evening dinner on 13th Dec. A menu will be circulated as soon as available for members to select their choices in advance.
b. JD asked who were members of the Club this year in order that the gallery on the Club website could be updated. ACTION JULIA – to confirm the names of the members for this year to Johnny in order that he can update webpage. Members are invited to forward 6 max. images to Johnny for inclusion in the gallery.
c. JD asked if last year’s accounts had been signed off by third party yet. ACTION JULIA – to get accounts signed off as soon as possible. The Committee also agreed that future accounts can be signed off by the Treasurer and two other Committee members instead of having to involve a third party.
d. AB suggested getting the Club’s laptop upgraded by having a SSHD installed rather than a hard disc as the laptop is currently problematic.
e. Colour Munkee – it was agreed that the Club should purchase a Colour Munkee which can then be used by members for calibrating monitors as well as for the Club’s laptop. AB to ask David Mercer to progress matter.
f. It was agreed that a gift should be presented to David Mercer for his years of Chairmanship.

Meeting ended at 8.45pm.....................Cameron McNair- Secretary.



20 July 2016

Carradale Camera Club
Minutes of Committee Meeting
Wednesday 20 July 2016 – The Glen, Carradale

In Attendance: David Mercer (Chair – DM) Alasdair Bennett (AB), Julia Dancer(JD) , Johnny Durnan (JKD), Rachel Grant (RG) and Susi Lunn (SL)

Apologies: No apologies were received or necessary.

Minutes: Minutes of 15 May 2016 were accepted as an accurate account of the last
meeting. Proposed by DM and seconded by JD

Matters Arising: All actions completed.

Annual Exhibition of Photography 2016 The exhibition will be held on Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 August 2016 in the Village Hall. It will be open each day between 1-4pm. It has been confirmed that we have a booking for these dates.
• Number of Prints- It was agreed that each member could display up to 6 prints with others held in reserve to be used if necessary. All members to submit the titles of their prints to DM by 3 August at the latest. ACTION – All Members
• Chinese Whispers - After discussion, it was agreed that the 2015/16 “Chinese Wispers” would be projected on the screen instead of being printed and displayed on the walls. AB will prepare a single page document explaining the concept behind the “Whispers” ACTION – AB
• Posters/Publicity – DM agreed to produce a poster that will be displayed in local noticeboards, campsite, Facebook and bus stops. Copies will also be sent to Argyll FM, Kintyre Photography and Campbeltown Camera Club for their FB pages. DM will also get digital images of winning POTY prints and send to Courier for inclusion in article about exhibition. ACTION – DM to produce posters and circulate as above by 24 July at latest.
• Entrance Fee – Agreed this would be £3 per adult and £7 for a family ticket (maximum 4 people) and to include tea/coffee and cakes.
• Teas/Coffees and Cakes – JD agreed to take responsibility for organising all catering and will purchase tea, coffee, milk etc. JKD agreed to supply plastic cups. ACTION – All Members to contact JD and advise her of the cakes they will be able to provide. ACTION - AB to arrange for table cloths to be obtained from the Guild.
• Music – DM agreed to provide a cassette player and SL agreed to bring along some suitable CDs.
• Display Boards – AB to speak to Sheena Ramsay and try and obtain the school display boards. ACTION – AB
• Members in Attendance – The set-up will be between 9 and 12 on the Saturday morning. DM, JD and AB agreed to help with the set-up. DM. JD and JKD will attend in the afternoon. AB and RG will be on duty on the Sunday. ACTION – All Members to advise the secretary when they will be able to assist.
AGM – Wednesday 7 September – it was confirmed that the AGM will be held at 7pm on this date in The Glen. As AB will be on holiday, DM agreed to take the minutes and circulate.
Programme for 2016/17 – It was confirmed that Ged Conley will be the guest speaker at the meeting on 30 November when he will speak on “Wildlife Photography”. It was agreed that the second half of the programme for 2017 would be left for the new committee to organise.
BBQ – Friday 22 July – Arrangements were made for the BBQ, which will be held in Dave’s garden in Waterfoot. Approximately 13/15 members, partners and friends are expected to attend
AOCB – No further business was raised and the meeting was closed.


18th May 2016

Carradale Camera Club
Minutes of Committee Meeting
Wednesday 18 May 2016 - The Glen, Carradale


In Attendance: David Mercer (Chair -DM), Alasdair Bennett (AB), Julia Dancer (JD), Rachel Grant (RG) and Allan MacLay (Member - AMc)

Apologies: No apologies were received

Minutes: The minutes of the last committee meeting held on 21 October 2015 were accepted as an accurate record. Proposed by RG and seconded by AMc.

Financial Update: JD explained income and expenditure since the last meeting, with the main expenditure being our contribution to the very successful Frank Walton Competition. Despite this, our current bank balance is approximately £1200, which is about the same as this time last year.
ACTION - JD to prepare annual accounts for auditing.

Summer Programme: The following events were agreed:
• Wednesday 22 June - Field trip to the Argyll Arms Hotel in Bellochantuy where it is hoped we can enjoy dinner before photographing the sunset (it can’t possibly be as wet as last year!).
• Friday 22 July - BBQ in Davis Mercer’s garden(seeing the weather ruled it out last Summer!)

Summer Competition: As discussed at a recent club evening, the subject of this year’s competition will be “Summer Events”, of which there are many in and around Kintyre this year. Allan MacLay has kindly agreed to be our judge. All pictures are to be submitted by 28 September at the latest.

Annual Exhibition: It is now confirmed that our exhibition will be held on Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 August 2016 in the Village Hall. The Harbour Day has bow been moved to the 13th, which avoids a clash that could have affected numbers. The following points were agreed:
• Number of prints limited to 6 maximum
• AB to get display boards from school - ACTION AB
• Chinese Whispers will not be displayed this year (too many and too much space required)
• Posters and publicity - ACTION DM
• Entrance fee will be the same as last year
• A full planning meeting will be held in the Glen at 7pm on Wednesday 20 July- ACTION AB

AGM: It was agreed that the AGM will be help in the Glen at 7pm on Wednesday 7 September. NOTE: Members should accept this minute as official notification of the AGM. ACTION- AB to prepare necessary papers and circulate.

Programme for the Remainder of 2016: After much discussion a programme was put together until the end of December. As was discussed at a previous club evening, the theme of all Slide Evenings this year will be “Rules of Composition”. The purpose of this is to look in more detail at some of the key “rules” and learn how to incorporate them in our photographs. The 5 “rules’ chosen to be the subject of Slide Evenings are: Rule of Thirds, Patterns, Lines (leading, diagonal etc), Depth and Framing.

The provisional programme is as follows:

7 September - AGM
21 September - Overview of “Rules of Composition”
5 October - Summer Competition Results
19 October - Slide Evening - “Rule of Thirds”
2 November - “How I take photographs” - 4 members will explain and demonstrate their own techniques.
16 November - Slide Evening - “Patterns”
30 November - Guest Speaker (to be advised)
14 December - Christmas Social in The Glen

AOCB - No further business was raised and the meeting was closed.



1 August 2015.

Annual Photography Exhibition.

Hi everyone

I think you will all agree that our exhibition in the Village Hall last week was an outstanding success, which was entirely down to the hard work and commitment of so many members.. I think we have all received positive feedback from those who attended, which is indicative of the quality of photographs on display .

You will be pleased to know that we took £367 over the 2 days and after paying for the hall (£130) we were left with £237. An excellent result and probably the best attended exhibition in recent years.

Club secretary.

10 May 2015

Due to a mix up with bookings, our POTY club evening on Wednesday will now be held in the Network Tearoom at 7pm rather than The Glen. Carol and Kevin have kindly agreed to let us use it and will provide the usual tea/coffee for the same £2 a head. Since we will not need use of screens or television for the POTY, the Tearoom is a very good venue.

Steve/Dave - Could one of you please inform Stuart of this change.


9 May 2015

Final reminder that Stuart Andrew, who is the judge for our Print of the Year Competition, will announce the results at our club evening next Wednesday, 13 May in The Glen. Whether you have submitted prints for the competition or not, it would be great to see a good turn out of members. As you know, Stuart has a wealth of photographic experience and I am sure we can all learn from what he has to say.

Currently I have the following names as confirmed for the club dinner in The Glen on Friday 15 May:

Marjory -
Karen - £10 paid
Dave -
Elizabeth -
Steve - £10 paid
Neenie -
Stuart -
Rachel -
Christine - £10 paid
Alasdair - £10 paid

If anyone else wishes to attend please let me know ASAP. I will get your choices from the menu, circulated previously, at the meeting on Wednesday.


12 April 2015

Just a quick reminder of our club meeting this Wednesday, 15 April, in the Glen when we will have a practical exercise on print mounting. Allan MacLay and Karen Coole have kindly offered to demonstrate some of the techniques for mounting photographs.

With the deadline for submission of prints for the Print of the Year competition getting close (29 April), this is a good opportunity to brush up on your skills before preparing your prints.

If anyone has any small prints, spare board or mounting equipment it might be worth bring them with you.


1 April 2015

Hi Everyone
Just a reminder that the guest speaker at our open meeting this Wednesday, 1 April, is Robin Miller who will give a presentation on the subject "From Prints to Paintings". Rachel tells us that Robin has put a lot of work into the presentation, so please encourage your friends to come along for what should be a very enjoyable evening.
cccapril2015



June 2014 Competition on the theme of "Food Preparation"

Open to all Carradale club members,£1 per entry,max of 4 entries per member.
All entries must have been taken since 1st June 2014.Entries to be in electronic format and emailed
to crowthius@live.co.uk or given to any committee member before Wednesday 12th November.
Prizes will be awarded for 1st,2nd and 3rd.
A review of all the entries followed by the announcement of the winners will take place at the club meeting on Wednesday 26th November.


April 2014 Print of the Year Competition.

Our thanks go to Ged Conley for agreeing to judge this years competition.
We remind you that you have until Weds 7th May to get your entries in; hand them to any committee member. Winners will be announced at our meeting of 14th May and prizes will be awarded at our annual dinner at the Glen on 16th May.


April 2014. Annual Dinner Night.

The Club's annual dinner and prize giving will be held in the Glen Bar and Restaurant,Carradale on the 16th May 2014.
Could you please notify a committee member/secretary if you wish to attend,numbers would be appreciated asap.
A time and menu will be posted shortly.


March 2014
A message of thanks from Marlynn Sheddon on her visit to the club with her talk on "Landscape Photography".

Hi All
I just wanted to thank you for such a lovely evening and such a warm welcome.
It was a real joy to chat with other camera enthusiasts and share our thoughts together. I hope the presentation was acceptable, as you folks have such expertise! I certainly enjoyed it very much.
Thank you also for the very generous gift voucher, which was totally unexpected and much appreciated.
Please pass my grateful thanks to the group for all the fun and for the gift.
You are a lovely group and I wish you much success with your photographs in the future.
Keep clicking!!

Warmest regards,
Marilyn

MARILYN SHEDDEN
E-mail marilyn.shedden@btinternet.com

March 2014

Frank Walton Trophy Competition Dunoon

Rachel Grant and Margaret Richardson,Carradale Camera Club members have just returned from the Cowal Camera Club. A very successful evening with Steve Partridge (Carradale) scoring the only 20 with his Machrihanish Mooring photo.

The scores for the clubs are as follows:

1st. Helensburgh 259 pts
2nd Cowal. 249 pts
3rd Mid Argyll. 240 pts
4th Carradale. 234 pts
5th. Campbeltown 229 pts
6th. Oban. 216 pts.

The Frank Walton Trophy will be held in Helensburgh next year 10 March 2015


Dec 2013

The Autumn competition organised by Steve Partridge,theme "Autumn" with all prints being judged by Campbeltown Camera Club, was won by Christine Ritchie with Johnny Durnan runner up.Prints are displayed in the gallery section.


10th June 2013

Hi all,
For those not at the POTY night (like me), the winners were Steve Partridge - POTY and Monochrome and Alasdair Bennett - Colour print of the year

8th April 2013

I have bought a number of filters over the years from a company called SRB Photographic and in their new brochure they are offering 10% discount to camera clubs. I would have to register member's email addresses with them and in turn members would get a code entitling that member to the discount. Would anyone be interested? The web-site is www.srb-photographic.com
You can let me know if you are interested on Wednesday.
C McNair
24th January 2013
After Allan's mention of the Cibachrome replacement "Fujiflex", last night, I thought I'd try and post a link to the people that I've used before. I imagine all the main labs will offer Fujiflex printing but I've found Peak Imaging very helpful and fastidious in the past.
I can't seem to find a link on Peak Imaging's site that goes straight to the Fujiflex page, but if you go to this page:

http://www.peak-imaging.co.uk/ and hover over "Prints from digital media" you can then click through to Fujiflex.
I'm also posting a link below to the Sun/Moon Rise/Set Photographer's Ephemeris for those of you have not yet come across this fantastic program.

http://photoephemeris.com/buy-download

It's free unless you want to install it on a smart phone or tablet.

David
From Will Anderson of Campbeltown Camera Club.
Hi folks,
Regarding the "Explore Campbeltown Website" I mentioned at the last meeting, please find a letter below, which was sent out to local businesses.
There will be a meeting in The Tasting Room for all interested parties on Tuesday 26th February @ 7pm, after which I will have a better idea of what will be required of us. It isn't compulsory to attend however if you would like to please let me know asap as the venue maybe changed due to large numbers. In the meantime if you would like to contribute scenic photographs of Campbeltown and South Kintyre for the website, please e-mail them to our friend Jenny Karlsson. jenny@kilkerransinglemalt.com .
Each photograph used will be credited with your name and Camera Club. To find out a little more, you can find an article about the website in today's Courier on P16 & P17.

On another note... After next month's Camera Club meeting (11th March @7.30pm) We will be holding our first committee meeting. We will be looking for committee members and allocating roles and duties within the club. If you feel you could assist us in anyway shape of form, please feel free to stay on.

Best regards,Will.

Dear business owner,

The purpose of this letter is to let you know about an exciting new project being put together by Springbank Distillery, the Ardshiel Hotel and the Machrihanish Holiday Park, which we hope will benefit all of the businesses in the area.

As part of my role developing the tourism and events side of Springbank, and on behalf of the above named businesses, I am currently in the process of putting together a web page under the name of www.explorecampbeltown.com. The main objective behind the Explore Campbeltown name is to create an online directory of all local businesses. Currently there is no other site offering this type of information and we feel there is a great need to showcase all of the goods and services we have here to encourage people to come to this beautiful part of the world. Our intention is to include each and every business in the area to emphasise exactly what we have to offer as a community. We get between 4,000 and 5,000 visitors to the distillery each year and we are extremely keen for as many of those as possible to spend at least one night in Campbeltown/Kintyre and explore the area in general. At present, a significant number of our visitors are merely “day-trippers” and heading straight from Springbank to the ferries to Islay or Arran. We would much prefer it if they would spend more time in our area and spend their money here instead!

They key to www.explorecampbeltown.com will be in the fact that it is designed to be 100% inclusive - we would like to include every independent shop, every hotel, every visitor attraction, every service, whether you are a hairdresser or a retail outlet, a town centre hotel or a rural campsite, a golf course or a surf school, car hire or bike hire. Most importantly, there will be absolutely no charge to anyone and no business will be given priority over any other. We intend to list each business alphabetically under relevant categories, with a link to your own website, if you have one, where you can then promote your own business to the visitors.

We are happy to pick up the cost involved with setting up, designing and hosting the website as part of our company’s overall commitment to creating a brand to promote the area on a global basis. All we are asking of you is that, first and foremost, you agree to be included in this project! Secondly, we will be printing the www.explorecampbeltown.com web address on every carton of whisky, gin and rum we sell to 42 different countries worldwide to help spread the word. We would like you to do something similar, either by adding stickers to your gift and/or carrier bags if you have them, or your packaging materials if that’s relevant, and by adding the address and logo to your own website and stationery if you use any.

I would like to stress once again that no individual company will be promoted above any other. We will not be charging for group membership or for your listing as we want to include everyone and would hate to discriminate on the basis of one business being able to afford something that another could not.


The directory will simply be a well-designed, easy to use website, with a listing for each business including your phone number and a link to your website, if you have one. If you do not, there are a number of ways in which you can get a free, one page site which can be set up with the minimum of effort and I will be happy to help anyone who wants a bit of advice on how to go about this.

If you have any questions or queries about this project or would like any more information please do not hesitate to contact me. My e-mail address ismairi@springbankwhisky.com or you can get me on 01586 552009. I am more than happy to explain the project to you in more detail if you want to discuss anything. I think it would be great if everyone decides to get involved with this project and help get more people down to Campbeltown. I feel very positive and enthusiastic that this can work and hope others feel the same.


We will be arranging an open evening in the near future where we can present our ideas to you. We see this as a simple way of everyone working together for the benefit of the community without needing the involvement of outside agencies with other agendas, and, more importantly, won’t cost anyone a lot of money or time.

I hope to hear from you soon as the faster we can get this up and running and get the word out there the faster we will see the benefits of it.

Yours Sincerely,
Mairi Paterson
Tourism & Events
Springbank Distillery/J&A Mitchell & Co Ltd

On behalf of Explore Campbeltown
23 Jan 2013

An invitation from Campbeltown Camera Club to join them at Putechan Hotel,Bellochantuy
Sunday 10th March 2013 for A Presentation and Field Work with Philip Price (www.lochvisions.co.uk)
Cost: £10....Registration 10.30 tea/coffee/biscuits, Presentation start 11.00 talk/slideshow/Q&A
12.30 Buffet lunch + Refreshments = £5 (payable at hotel)
Afternoon session on beach if weather allows,to include pointers outlined in the morning session.
Finish 15.00hrs, Tea/Coffee - Home.

Bring along a photo to put onto a table for selection and talked about at random.Doesn't have to be perfect,we want as much advice from Philip as possible.
Members wishing to attend bring your payment to next meeting fao. Steve Partridge.

24th January 2013

After Allan's mention of the Cibachrome replacement "Fujiflex", last night, I thought I'd try and post a link to the people that I've used before. I imagine all the main labs will offer Fujiflex printing but I've found Peak Imaging very helpful and fastidious in the past.
I can't seem to find a link on Peak Imaging's site that goes straight to the Fujiflex page, but if you go to this page:

http://www.peak-imaging.co.uk/ and hover over "Prints from digital media" you can then click through to Fujiflex.
I'm also posting a link below to the Sun/Moon Rise/Set Photographer's Ephemeris for those of you have not yet come across this fantastic program.

http://photoephemeris.com/buy-download

It's free unless you want to install it on a smart phone or tablet.

David
From Will Anderson of Campbeltown Camera Club.
Hi folks,
Regarding the "Explore Campbeltown Website" I mentioned at the last meeting, please find a letter below, which was sent out to local businesses.
There will be a meeting in The Tasting Room for all interested parties on Tuesday 26th February @ 7pm, after which I will have a better idea of what will be required of us. It isn't compulsory to attend however if you would like to please let me know asap as the venue maybe changed due to large numbers. In the meantime if you would like to contribute scenic photographs of Campbeltown and South Kintyre for the website, please e-mail them to our friend Jenny Karlsson. jenny@kilkerransinglemalt.com .
Each photograph used will be credited with your name and Camera Club. To find out a little more, you can find an article about the website in today's Courier on P16 & P17.

On another note... After next month's Camera Club meeting (11th March @7.30pm) We will be holding our first committee meeting. We will be looking for committee members and allocating roles and duties within the club. If you feel you could assist us in anyway shape of form, please feel free to stay on.

Best regards,Will.

Dear business owner,

The purpose of this letter is to let you know about an exciting new project being put together by Springbank Distillery, the Ardshiel Hotel and the Machrihanish Holiday Park, which we hope will benefit all of the businesses in the area.

As part of my role developing the tourism and events side of Springbank, and on behalf of the above named businesses, I am currently in the process of putting together a web page under the name of www.explorecampbeltown.com. The main objective behind the Explore Campbeltown name is to create an online directory of all local businesses. Currently there is no other site offering this type of information and we feel there is a great need to showcase all of the goods and services we have here to encourage people to come to this beautiful part of the world. Our intention is to include each and every business in the area to emphasise exactly what we have to offer as a community. We get between 4,000 and 5,000 visitors to the distillery each year and we are extremely keen for as many of those as possible to spend at least one night in Campbeltown/Kintyre and explore the area in general. At present, a significant number of our visitors are merely “day-trippers” and heading straight from Springbank to the ferries to Islay or Arran. We would much prefer it if they would spend more time in our area and spend their money here instead!

They key to www.explorecampbeltown.com will be in the fact that it is designed to be 100% inclusive - we would like to include every independent shop, every hotel, every visitor attraction, every service, whether you are a hairdresser or a retail outlet, a town centre hotel or a rural campsite, a golf course or a surf school, car hire or bike hire. Most importantly, there will be absolutely no charge to anyone and no business will be given priority over any other. We intend to list each business alphabetically under relevant categories, with a link to your own website, if you have one, where you can then promote your own business to the visitors.

We are happy to pick up the cost involved with setting up, designing and hosting the website as part of our company’s overall commitment to creating a brand to promote the area on a global basis. All we are asking of you is that, first and foremost, you agree to be included in this project! Secondly, we will be printing the www.explorecampbeltown.com web address on every carton of whisky, gin and rum we sell to 42 different countries worldwide to help spread the word. We would like you to do something similar, either by adding stickers to your gift and/or carrier bags if you have them, or your packaging materials if that’s relevant, and by adding the address and logo to your own website and stationery if you use any.

I would like to stress once again that no individual company will be promoted above any other. We will not be charging for group membership or for your listing as we want to include everyone and would hate to discriminate on the basis of one business being able to afford something that another could not.


The directory will simply be a well-designed, easy to use website, with a listing for each business including your phone number and a link to your website, if you have one. If you do not, there are a number of ways in which you can get a free, one page site which can be set up with the minimum of effort and I will be happy to help anyone who wants a bit of advice on how to go about this.

If you have any questions or queries about this project or would like any more information please do not hesitate to contact me. My e-mail address ismairi@springbankwhisky.com or you can get me on 01586 552009. I am more than happy to explain the project to you in more detail if you want to discuss anything. I think it would be great if everyone decides to get involved with this project and help get more people down to Campbeltown. I feel very positive and enthusiastic that this can work and hope others feel the same.


We will be arranging an open evening in the near future where we can present our ideas to you. We see this as a simple way of everyone working together for the benefit of the community without needing the involvement of outside agencies with other agendas, and, more importantly, won’t cost anyone a lot of money or time.

I hope to hear from you soon as the faster we can get this up and running and get the word out there the faster we will see the benefits of it.

Yours Sincerely,
Mairi Paterson
Tourism & Events
Springbank Distillery/J&A Mitchell & Co Ltd

On behalf of Explore Campbeltown